Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Did I mention I'm a bit competitive?

Two years ago, in D.C., I was introduced to pub trivia and it changed my life.  Okay, I'm exaggerating, but truthfully, I'm a trivia fiend. At one point, we had created an unstoppable entity that was disbanded when our trivia master was fired for reasons unknown (we suspect drugs were involved).  So, our small group attempted several other trivia venues. None of them were all too promising and we stopped our weekly trivia ritual. (Note: I blame cheating GW law students at a certain "pharmacy" for ruining one experience, well, that and an undergrad teammate that joined us one week who tried to convince me that Mount Rushmore was one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World... sadly, I'm not kidding.)

In the spirit of being proactive and giving things a second chance, I decided to attempt to create a trivia team here in Worcester.  Some friends and I tried a night at Tweed's based on some facebook posts that recommend it, but I wasn't too impressed by the atmosphere.  It just wasn't for me, but they did have a rowdy crowd of regulars if you are looking for that ;-)  Which leads me to...

Wednesday Night Trivia at the Piccadilly Pub on Shrewsbury Street

I'm digging this trivia night.  You can either play in the bar or throughout the dining room and seating isn't usually a problem. They have a six person max on teams, if you are looking to win the prize, but they are fairly laid back as far as trivia "masters" go. 

They play Stump Trivia, which admittedly isn't my favorite format, but after a few weeks, it is starting to grow on me.  It's divided into quarters that consist of 4 questions each with bonus rounds after each quarter.  They start at 8pm (usually.  This is my one BIG complaint.  They really need to start on time and keep to the schedule. It's a Wednesday night and people have jobs.  Trivia should last 2 hours tops, but I digress...) The questions cover a really wide range of categories, but movies are a most definite for their bonus rounds.  If you can make a team that covers more than one generation you will be at an advantage.  Honestly, they baffle me with their questions about 60s and 70s pop culture, but it is all in good fun -- alright, let's be serious, the point of this post is to recruit someone older than 30 to join our team.  It kills me when we don't even place every week.  I feel as if I die inside.  My competitive nature is still smarting from leaving early last week. We quit! I never quit!  I try to sit there and act all nonchalant about the game and be a "good sport" -whatever that means- but I can't lie to my readers. I might go prematurely gray if we don't win soon... wow, where did that tangent come from? I'm a little embarrassed... moving right along.

Piccadilly Pub is not my first choice for places to eat in Worcester.  It doesn't even rank in my top 20, but they have a decent beer selection and cheap wine, which normally sells me.  They give you as much free popcorn as you like and they have some decent entree selection.  Bonus: a brownie sundae that rocks my world.  Their waitstaff is sweet (even after having a pint of beer spilled down my back - it was an accident and my meal was comped- I will still return) and pretty decent about splitting bills, etc.

Feel free to join us and week. We need all the help we can get er... umm... I mean the MORE THE MERRIER!

Next week, there is rumor of a cheap comedy night... I'll keep you posted.

Until next time!

<3k

No comments:

Post a Comment