Wednesday, March 16, 2011

One can never have too many purses!

I have to start out with a confession, I failed to make it to my intended Worcester activity this week.  You are supposed to be reading about my first Worcester St. Patrick's Day parade experience in years. However, I was in Newport... and instead of driving back home for the parade, I made the decision to have brunch at The Corner Cafe where I indulged in their famous Wooten's Portuguese Sweetbread French Toast with maple pecan butter and -I won't lie to you- it was worth it. 

More Excuses: Work was surprisingly kind of crazy last week. I had business meals 3 nights of the week. While I was "dining out" in business casual attire in Worcester (during restaurant week- which made all of the restaurants uncharacteristically packed) I decided that I am not allowing business dinners as part of this blog.  So, Ceres, O'Connors and Bauhiana are safe from my critique this week.  I'd give you a trivia update, but that would just be lazy and after our showing last week, I'm too embarrassed to put it in writing. 

With all of that said, I've spent the last 2 days stressing about what to write.  I've been told I'm getting "quite the following" [I hope you can all picture my ear-to-ear grin at this thought] so, I am afraid to disappoint.  I almost used my lunch break yesterday to check out an exhibit at Clark, but that would seem like a rushed last ditch effort.  I was desperate and I needed inspiration FAST!  Picture if you will, I'm sitting at my desk yesterday deciding if maybe I should review a place I've been to weeks ago, one hand is wringing my new necklace and the other is annoyingly tapping a pen in beat with what sounds like Salt-N-Pepa's "Shoop," I'm worrying my lip... WAIT! Wait a minute... my new necklace!!! Suddenly, the sky has opened and a choir of angels is singing Jeff Buckley's version of "hallelujah." So here we go:

About 2 weeks ago, I got an email from my co-worker, Tammi.  Attached was an invitation to a fundraiser for her daughter's cheerleading squad. Location: Jenny's Boston in Westborough (Westborough is part of Worcester County, I checked it -twice).  I had never been, but agreed to stop by at some point during the event.  I dragged Maria with me, because I tend to drag Maria with me to everything.  I was told they have cute, fun and inexpensive costume jewelery.  I expected to stop by, find something small to help contribute and then head out; Maria had homework to do and I had to sleep, so we had a time limit.  Yeah... sure.

The fundraiser started at 6ish, but I had some prior commitments (Relay for Life Meeting!!! Feel free to donate hint hint), so we didn't end up finding the place until around 8 (Maria is an excellent substitute navigator, since my GPS is mysteriously broken).  We stroll into the shop, which was pretty busy -great turn out for Grafton High Cheerleaders.  Within seconds, I see about 12 things that I would be happy to own and at least one that I NEEDED. 

Some explanation: I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this, but I am a self-proclaimed slave to consumerism.  Advertising and marketing budgets are not wasted on me. Sale signs draw me in (well that and shiny objects), but if I realize I'm getting a decent deal or even a tiny deal then I'm sold.  It borders on compulsion if not kept in check.  I'm normally pretty decent about setting limits and being realistic about what I should and shouldn't purchase. I just have one Achilles heel... Maria. I should know better at this point, really I should.  Despite the squad of cheerleaders surrounding us, we are all the encouragement each other needs in favor of buying everything we see. And our methods of justification are outrageous. Throughout the night the following sentences were heard:
"Oh, I promised my mother a pair of these earrings, I just have to buy them."
"I've always wanted a pink purse and the price is great.  I have to get this."
"You love that color, those are soooo you, you should really get them."
"Oh I forgot about so-and-so's birthday in January, she'd love this."
"I really want to get into wearing scarfs. I'm so jealous of people who can rock scarfs. I'm getting at least one."
"So-and-so would love this store. We should really find something for her and then bring her back here."
"Red Sox necklaces! Oh my god, you have to buy that! You love the Red Sox."
"I need a pair of earrings to match that new necklace... maybe I should get two."
"I really want a ring? Do you think I should get one? I mean they don't cost that much and I'd wear it all the time."

You get the point.  The merchandise was so cute and the prices were very reasonable - they had 2 avid shoppers in their grasps.  I truly was shocked that I was able to buy as much as I did for so little a cost. The boutique itself had a hip and chic layout.  They sell most of their earrings and necklaces in sets and the sets are all about $22.  Their scarfs run at about $16 and they have every color and pattern imaginable.  I can't even start on the purses.  I bought the cutest wristlet, which after spending the weekend with my college roommates, I'm being sent back to purchase 4 more. The staff was very helpful and, in one instance, dug through merchandise they received that afternoon for more options for some of the shoppers.  They were quick with suggestions for matching items and are happy to gift wrap at no extra charge.

The best thing: They are readily available for fund-raising.  They will host events in the store or come to you.  I'm a sap, so they have easily found a repeat customer in me. I'm thinking of maybe hosting a Relay fundraiser in the future...

The tale ends with Maria and me each spending almost $150 each, but it was for a good cause!!! See, I swear it's a sickness! I think it's inherited.  My grandmother (paternal grandmother pronounced grand-muthER, well something like that) was a serious shopper and, whether she'll admit it or not, my mom's got the fever, too.  Hence my surprise by the following situation:

[Jackson and I stop by my parent's house earlier this week. I show my mom my new clutch while telling her about my pink purse]
Mom: Kaithlyn, how many purses do you need?
Me:[quizzical look] more...
Mom: [laughs and rolls her eyes at me]
The exchange ended there, because I am a very polite, well-mannered daughter... heh heh... but my mental response to her eye roll was...
Me: Mom, why don't we stroll into your closet that is the size of a small bedroom and count the shoe boxes.

Needless to say, I have a feeling she'll be coming back to Jenny's with me.

This week's adventure is a definite point for Worcester (county). I promise to have a more structured outing next time! I'm always looking for suggestions! To my male readers- hang in there, I promise not to write about purses often. I'm thinking about trying a rock climbing excursion soon...

Until next week!

<3 K

4 comments:

  1. kate i would like to be part of your blog experience and go to dinner at EVO with you. its my fav!! you can drag me anywhere alone with maria haha =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this is priceless! I almost thought you were going to forget about the "well, it really is for a good cause" mantra that I started, lol!! Definite plus for Worcester (county)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha I could just picture you and Maria running amok while shopping. And I suffer from the same infliction your mother suffers from...with less closet space :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Know Your Mom. Never would have guessed size of closet? Something to shoot for! Victor

    ReplyDelete